29 March 2020

Fresh Goods Sunday - Specialized S-Works Hover Carbon Handlebars

When I bought the Creo SL I was keen to see how I got on with the Spec flared / riser alu bars. I have never ridden a bike with flared bars so they were going to be a learning curve. I don't use the drop part of the dropped handle bars very often, I mainly used the hoods or the tops. The standard bar tape was very uncomfortable even though they said it was padded which did not help with the feel of the bars. I could not see any advantage of the flared design and did not find anymore comfortable than a standard drop handlebar. One thing I did notice is that the levers stick right out of the flared bars so when leaning it against a wall etc the levers touch the wall first. After several rides I had come to the conclusion that did not offer me any advantages over standard bars so decided to purchase some Specialized non flared carbon riser equivalent handlebars and here they are.
The Hover comes in five sizes from 38cm to 44cm. I opted for the 42cm version which are measured centre to centre on the hood area of the bars. They have any slip coating / clamping areas for the stem and shifters. They also have markers for the shifters so you can get both the same level easily. The bars are not round profile all the way around. The tops are flattened off for extra comfort.
Fitting was simple enough and took around 45 minutes inc fitting new bar tape which I hate. Below are a few snaps of the process. I cannot comment on the feel / performance of the bars yet as I have only had the bike around the block to make sure the bars / levers are at the right angle.
I will do a follow up report after I get a few rides / miles on them. Also next week the Fresh Goods Sunday blog will cover the bar tape.

RRP £185 and I paid £139.99 inc next day delivery

Manufacturers blurb - In terms of both comfort and performance, anywhere that your body touches the bike is of the utmost importance. That's why we designed the S-Works Hover Carbon Handlebars to excel on both fronts. Starting with the construction, they're made from our FACT carbon fibre for a light overall weight, vibration absorption, and high rigidity. And for comfort, much of it boils down to fit. Along these lines, they feature a shallow drop & bend that's extremely comfortable, while they also have a 15mm rise to help accommodate a wide fit range.
  • FACT carbon construction offers an optimized blend of durability and light overall weight.
  • 15mm rise for additional rider fit range.
  • Shallow Bend Drop: 123mm drop x 75mm reach
  •  
     


































     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment