16 March 2020

Cinder Track - Scarborough to Whitby on Spec Creo SL


Well it has been quite a few years since I have ridden this track so was looking forward to taking on the challenge again. This time I went from Scarborough to Whitby direction. Jane dropped me off in Sainsburys car park where the track begins. The sign says 23.5 miles but this is wrong. End to end I recorded 20.91miles then approx.0.50 miles from the end of line at Whitby down to the town centre.
Anyway the rain had stopped but I knew the line was going to have some massive muddy puddles as there was well over an inch of rain fell early morning. Last time I did this route there was loads of broken glass at the Scarborough end but not today, only a couple of broken bottles. There was also very little dog poo on the track as well. That was the plus side, on the downside the drainage / surface of the track has not improved with long sections of deep muddy puddles to tackle. I did notice there was two short sections which have been recovered with some large gravel and at the Whitby end they have just started to tarmacking the line. I would say 700 x 40c is the minimum tyre width possible on this route as it is that rough going. There are loads of large stones and bricks in the track which you have to try and weave through. The front suspension on the bike was working overtime and my hands / wrists were sore by the end. The signage is worse than ever through the little villages where you have to do some lefts, rights etc, if I did not have my Garmin on with the map I would have struggled in several places. The wind was blowing 40+mph but was more of a side wind so did the route in 1hr 37 mins, ave 12.9mph which was not bad considering the conditions and the amount of dog walkers out, climbed 1100ft and used 30% of the battery.
Enjoy the photos below and hopefully more soon -




































No comments:

Post a Comment