25 April 2023

Some of County Durham’s smoothest gravel tracks - 80km in the sun and freezing cold wind.

 


An early start today as the there was a sunrise forecasted around 5.45am and a few hours of sunny weather before cloud and rain showers were going to start. I was up and out just before 6am from Broompark picnic area. I hoped straight onto the old railway line to Consett then turned left and all the way up the C2C to Parkhead. There was a sunrise and I had the sun for most of this leg of the ride. The only downside was the freezing cold wind. All the puddles and track was frozen all the way up but the sun had started to melt it when I was coming back over the open moor section from Parkhead. It was lovely and quiet all the way up and only a few others out around Lanchester, Langley Park and Bearpark on the way back down. It was a simple enough out n back route and I stopped at Parkhead for 1/2 an energy bar and a slurp of freezing cold juice. Once back at Broompark I peeled off my gillet and fitted my range extender battery as I wanted to make the ride up to a 50 miler, I also had my other 1/2 of my energy bar, it was solid with the cold. I probably had enough in my main battery but fitted the top up just in case. I then headed off down the old railway towards Esh Winning n back to make it up to just over 50 miles. The sun was still shining and temperature went from minus -4.3 degrees up to plus + 9 degrees. 
All in just over 50 miles in 3hrs 42 mins, ave 13.5mph with 1800ft of climbing. Below are a few snaps from the ride and a short video clip at the bottom, enjoy and hopefully more soon - 




























No comments:

Post a Comment