14 April 2023

A quick blast up and down the old railway line to Knitsley on my Trek Procaliber 9.8

 


I did not manage to get out yesterday but got an early finish today and it was sunny so I decided to take my Trek Procaliber 9.8 hardtail xc mtb out for a spin. I parked up at Bearpark and hopped onto the old railway and headed towards Consett. It felt like my feet were not touching the pedals. I knew I was not that fit but what I did not realise was I had a massive tailwind all the way up. Today is the first ride with a gillet, long sleeved winter jersey and short sleeved baselayer on my top half. The Garmin reached double digits and it felt warm climbing in the sun with the wind behind me. Once I was at Knitsley I decided to turn and head back down. This is where I discovered I had a tailwind up as I had a strong headwind all the way back down. It started clouding over and felt nippy in places. The lines were not that busy but a good mix of users - runners, horse riders, walkers, dog walkers and cyclists. The council have been doing some tiding up at Langley Park end and have erected quite a few new signs with the County's new / updated rules of use on the old railway lines, see photos below. They have been trying to cut drainage channels to the side of the lines where there are massive puddles but both sides are higher that the track. There was loads of big puddles and quite muddy in places after yesterdays heavy rain throughout the night. Below are a few snaps from the 20 miles with nearly 700ft of climbing. Enjoy and hopefully more soon- 



Trying out my new Garbaruk cassette, its a beast! 









Try not and laugh too much when reading this 









My turning point 






No comments:

Post a Comment