2 April 2023

Fresh Goodies - Garbaruk bling, broken Silca floor pump, broken Specialized Creo, broken nipples & mislaid my Assos pertex

 


Apologies for no blog posts last week but I have not been out on the bike and working in and outside the house doing jobs. Yet again the weather has been crap all week. Today the forecast was dry so thought I would go out on the road bike as I did not manage and road rides in March. 
It was not a good start as I was up most of the night with a bad belly so was well rough to start with. I did not have my bike or my kit ready. I got all my kit on but could not find my pertex jacket. Went to pump up the tyres and my Silca digital floor pump was not working, changed the batteries but still no joy. Forgot to fill my water bottle. Turned on the Creo and TCU fault lights come on, checked the code and said internal back up battery low. The levels of power would still change on the display etc so headed off down the A167 cycle track to Chester Le Street, went to climb out of the market place to Pelton and no power. Different light code come up on the TCU. That was it, time to get picked up and head home. 
Once home I put three sets of new batteries in the Silca pump but the display will still not come back on so I have emailed Saddleback, see what they come back with net week. 
I replaced the back up battery in the TCU and that code cleared. Went for a spin around the estate and there was still no power and the second code was still flashing. So I have dropped the bike off at Evans Cycles for them to plug it into the computer. Looking at the codes in there Specialized book it says "motor not found". On the plus side I managed to find my Pertex jacket hidden away in my kit bag from last Autumn! 




Yesterday I dragged my older Cube E mtb hardtail out of hibernation as Angus has took the black one that I normally use. I charged up the battery, pumped up the tyres and took it for a spin around the block. It has been around two years since it has turned a wheel. I injected 100ml of fresh Stans into each tyre. This is when I noticed that there was a loose spoke of the front wheel. I went to tighten the nipple with my spoke key and the whole spoke and nipple had pulled away from the rim. The back of the nipple had come away. Bloody hell just filled the tyres with new Stans. I then decided to crack the bead on one side of the tyre next to the eyelet and form a small hole through the tubeless rim tape and push a new nipple through instead of stripping the tyre off, draining the Stans and removing the rim tape. I inserted the new nipple through the rim tape and through the eyelet in the rim, screwed the new nipple onto the spoke and trued the wheel. I patch the rim tape with some spare tubeless tap I had, re inflated the tyre and bodge job done! 



The only Fresh Goodies last week was a new cassette for my Trek Procaliber 9.8. I found this Garbaruk cassette on ebay by chance. Inspiral Cycles has the rrp as £320 and I paid £164.59 from Bird Cycles, Consett. Every one they had sold within 24 hours! On the downside it took the Royal Mail five full days to deliver it, 13 miles from Bird Cycles to my house, unreal. More on this in a Fresh Goods Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment