16 April 2023

Fresh Goods Sunday - Trek KnockBlock Headset Spacers 10mm

 


This is Part 3 of replacing my suspension forks to a pair of rigid carbon forks. With this being my first Trek I would say in over 30 years the "Knockblock" system is new to me. The KnockBlock saves the handlebars from spinning all the way around and damaging your top tube etc in a crash. The system is designed around the headset (produced by FSA) and the special spacers and stem. You cannot use normal ahead spacers and a normal stem on this system but you can buy a convertor which allows you to keep the KnockBlock headset, you then fit the adaptor, then use normal spacers and stem. 
As I wanted to keep my Bontrager integrated stem / bar combo I thought I would keep the KnockBlock system. The rigid forks were new so there was loads of spare streerer tube to cut down. The stem is a negative rise so thought I would allow for an additional 10mm spacer to lift it up a little and save my back! After looking into the spacers they are produced by Trek, the 10mm height come in packs of three for £21. They also sell a pack of three 5mm spacers for £28, yes you read that right £28. After some Googling I found that Wolf Tooth also make a 10mm spacer in various colours and sell them singular. Looking at the UK distributors website - Saddleback they only have 1no black one and 1no red one in stock -  £13 each. I was only after one so my option was either Wolf Tooth or see if a Trek dealer had any spares in there workshop buckets. Well on the way back from a break in Harrogate I called in past Chevin Cycles as they are a Trek dealer and the young lad asked one of the mechanics to have a look. Well I was in luck they had some spare ones removed from a bike. He only charged me £3 so that was the job sorted. The spacers stack on top of each other with the inter locking lugs / cut outs then the last stem spacer goes on the top with stem slotting over the spacer. Simple enough to fit and install but just hard to find and expensive. 

RRP £20.99 (so that works out at £6.99 each) and I paid £3.00 for 1no used from Chevin Cycles (Harrogate Branch). Discount 57%.

Manufacturers blurb - 

ModelTrek Knock Block Headset 3 x 10 mm Spacers
Steerer outer diameter28.6 mm (1-1/8")
Thickness10 mm

Trek also do a pack of three 5mm spacers rrp £27.99! 














No comments:

Post a Comment