3 July 2020

DT Swiss HGC 1400 Hybrid Spline Road Boost Carbon Wheelset - Specialized Creo SL

Well after many months of looking I have finally found some carbon wheels that fit the Specialized Creo SL. In fact I have found three wheel sets all manufactured by DT Swiss that have road boost  / spline spec'd hubs.
These are the are the HGC 1400 Hybrid Spline 700c models, 42mm deep rim x 24mm internal rim width. They also come in a 650b version, same hubs / same section rim just in 27.5" format. The part I did not like is the eye watering rrp £1835! The 650b version is the same rrp and so is the deeper 47mm but narrower 19mm road version wheels HEC 1400 Hybrid Spline 700c.
Again shop around, the cheapest I could find in the UK was from Cycle Solutions £1560 but they had a long led in time. Bike Discount de are around £1330 (but out of stock at the time of writing this) and the 650b £1305 (in stock at the time of writing this).
I could not find much info in the UK about road boost wheels / fitting etc and the info I did find was mixed. Some shops said the front wheel will need re dishing, then some people from abroad said they fit straight from the box. I was not going to take a chance that the wheels a, did not fit or b, needed re dishing so I contacted a few local cycle shops and see if they could order in a pair / fit them to the bike and make sure they fitted and or needed re dishing. Some shops never come back to me considering Madison the UK importer had stock.
Anyway after a few chase up calls / messages I finally got sorted with Mark Mather and Simon from The Bike Rack Yarm. After ordering they arrived 3 days later so dropped the bike down and tried them in. Well they do fit straight from the box. Just make sure you order 110mm x 12mm for the front and 148mm x 12mm for the rear.
I have never ran a pair of wheels with such a big internal rim width and it looks massive! Once home I swapped over the rotors, cassette, tyre (fitted a new one to the rear) set them up tubeless and popped them onto the bike. I had to re adjust the rear mech indexing as it was slightly out with the different manufacturer of hubs and she is ready to rock n roll, well that's once it stops raining! I will do a more detailed blog on my Fresh Goods Sunday inc weights etc but for now below are a couple of snaps of the wheels fitted to the bike.





No comments:

Post a Comment