18 July 2020

A loop around lower Weardale area on the Cannondale Synapse Neo

I though it was time to drag the road bike out for a change and what better roads to give it a spin on than Weardale. I parked up at Frosterley, turned left and over the bridge and straight up the steep climb to Hill End. Then I dropped down and over the next bridge and climbed over Bollihope Common to pick up the Barny road. I turned right and through the switch backs and headed towards Stanhope. You have to be very careful going down Unthank bank as its very steep with hairpin bends! I stopped at the ford for a couple of snaps then along the road where I turned left and took the back country lane to Daddry Shield. I joined the main road and headed towards Cowshill but the weather was turning and it was getting darker and darker as I could see the rain blowing over from Alston direction. So once I reached Ireshopeburn I turned right and picked up the singletrack back lane up the very steep hill and turned off right which takes you along a lovely hilly country lane to Daddry Shield. From there I joined the main road back to Stanhope. Once through Stanhope I turned right and over the bridge then the railway bridge to take the back country road all the way back to Frosterley. As ever the roads were lovely and quiet. The weather was very mixed with sun, cloud, massive headwind all the way out, massive tailwind all the way back in, spitting rain, you name it. All in 26 miles in 1hour 47 mins, ave 14.6mph with just under 2500ft of climbing Below are a few snaps from ride, enjoy and hopefully more soon -





























No comments:

Post a Comment