21 April 2020

Bike Tinkering / Fixing - Salsa Beargrease Fat Bike - Cube E mtb - Cannondale Synapse Neo

 
First up Cube E mtb - I checked the chain several months ago for wear and noticed that it needed changing but the bike has not been used very much since, but with some spare time on my hands I decided to change the chain. I had bought a couple of spare KMC E mtb 11 speed chains so though it would be a nice quick job. Well changing the chain was but when I test rode the bike after fitting the chain it is suffering from front chainring suck. I stripped off the crank arm but I don't have the tool to remove the Bosch chain ring lockring / bash guard and I did not have a spare chainring so took the new chain off and cleaned / refitted the old chain and its working again. I have ordered an Ice Toolz tool and a new 15t Bosch chainring. Once they both arrive I will recommence the repair and swap the chainring and re fit the new chain.



 
Next up was the Cannondale Synapse Neo 1 E bike - with the weather being just so good I have decided to remove the full mudguards from the bike. This also allows me to use the bike with the Hunt 650b wheelset. I noticed at the end of last year that the Panaracer rear tyre was getting very worn on the middle of the tread so bought some new Conti 27.5" x 2" mtb tyres.




 
One come with the original packaging as you can see and the other one came zip tied together. The front wheel has a Spec tyre fitted and has loads of tread so I decided just to fit the new Conti on the rear. I had no problems with fitting and seated first time. Once I fitted the wheels back on the bike  I took it for a spin around the block. I knew there was something wrong by the time I got to the end of the road so came back. It felt like the new tyre was not seated properly and had a massive egg  in it. I double checked and there was defo so beading problems, gggrrr. Swapped it for the other new tyre and it was perfect. Looks like I got a faulty tyre sent out! see what Merlin Cycles say.



 




 
As I have now sold so many bikes there is some spare space for the Salsa Beargrease carbon fat bike to come down out of the loft and get rebuilt / checked over. It has not turned a wheel for quite a few years so needed a good going over. I fitted the XX1 cassette that come off another pair of wheels that I have sold. I also fitted a Thomson seat post and Selle Italia SLR XP saddle as I must have took the post / saddle off to get it into the loft. I also swapped the rear rotor to match the front rotor Kcnc. Stripped off all the bags, cages etc and gave it a good wash / degrease. I dried and lubed it back up. Pumped up the tyres, checked all the nuts / bolts, stripped down the headset / re greased and it was ready for a quick spin around the block. My good god it is a beast, I must get back out on this thing and enjoy the fun factor of the wheels / tyres!







No comments:

Post a Comment