12 March 2024

Wet, cold, windy and poor visibility on local road ride - Pontop Pike and Burnhope Transmitters route

 


Sunday was a complete wash out and it was raining again yesterday morning so me and Jane had a run through to Team Valley as I had some things to buy / collect. I checked todays forecast on numerous websites and it was hit n miss but I was hoping it was mainly miss. How wrong was I, I was under dressed, freezing cold and soaked through apart from my upper body. 
I set off down the cycle track to Chester Le Street and it was dry but overcast with the Garmin reading around 4 to 5 degrees. By the time I started climbing towards Stanley from No place the drizzle started and it got heavier and heavier the higher I was going. The wind was picking up and the temperature had dropped to 2 degrees. The visibility was also starting to decrease. I can normal get a good photo of the transmitters at Pontop Pike from Harelaw but I could not see anything. On the way to Burnhope the heavens opened and the heavy drizzle changed to heavy rain all the way home from there. I could not see anything of the transmitter at Burnhope when I was stood at the pit wheel memorial. 
The forecast for the rest of the week is very similar and just cannot get a break from the rain. Cannot remember the last time I seen the sun! On the plus side my new Lezyne pro Strip Drive 400+ rear led light is working a treat in todays poor visibility, did not some drives close passing me though! 
The cycle shops are trying to sell the new Spring /Summer kit that has just come in and we are still in the depths of winter. 
All in 28.50 miles in 2 hrs 1 min with 2000ft of climbing. Below are a few cold and wet looking snaps from the ride and a short video clip at the bottom, enjoy and hopefully more soon - 















No comments:

Post a Comment