3 March 2024

A very wet and muddy ride around the old railway lines and tracks of Co Durham - 35 miles on the Creo 1 gravel

 


Saturday me and Jane had a drive down to Guisborough for a walk around the town and got some shopping etc. The main reason we went down was I wanted to have a look around the refurbished Bike Scene (Specialized Store). The refurbishment was very good quality but the lighting was not bright enough for me as the ceiling, walls, stands etc are all matt black. To be honest I preferred the older store but I am not really into all this new boutique shopping experiences! Time will tell how they last with the buy out. 
Sunday and I was up and out a little later than normal, 7.30am. There was sort of an overnight frost but no where near as cold as Saturday morning. I took the Creo 1 gravel out for a local loop I have not done in a while. I have done all the route but in sperate rides just not joined together to make one bigger loop. With the heavy rain on Friday afternoon/night and Saturday afternoon the tracks, trails and lines were back to normal, ankle deep in mud and massive puddles again. I cut a few offroad sections out of loop just due to the amount of clarts. I need to buy another Ass Savers Win Wing 2 guard and fit it to this bike as my back was covered in spray even though I had the Ass Savers large saddle guard fitted. But saying that the mud and water on the tracks was bad. It was not warm either with the Garmin dipping to minus -1.6 degrees. The sun did come out briefly part ride and just got above 0 degrees. On the plus side the wind has finally done one and gone. 
It will be a while before anything dries up enough to start properly enjoying anything offroad as such. There was a few others out but not may for most of the ride. It was busy with people walking down to Durham when I was heading home via Frankland. I have put a route map up at the bottom of the blog. All in 35.50 miles with 1700ft of climbing. Below are a few photos, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 



















There are now two puddles of doom!


No comments:

Post a Comment