10 March 2024

Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano Dura Ace Road Shifting Cable Set (Y63Z98910) Black

 


When the new Specialized Creo 2 came out on the UK market I was thinking about buying one but changed my mind at the time so I decided to get all the small jobs that was bugging me done on my Creo 1 gravel bike. I have kept the original Shimano GRX mechanical shifters and rear mech on the bike and not upgraded them. I replaced the inner cable when it snapped out on a ride but used the original outer as it is a one piece outer running down the downtube, past the battery and threaded around the motor and along the inside of the rear chain stay and out. 
The time had come that it was time to replace the inner and outer as the rear mech was getting sluggish in shifting up and down the Sunrace cassette. 
I opted for a full Shimano Gear Shift cable set and the Dura Ace model. I only needed the length of outer and the rear inner cable. I removed the bar tape, loosened the bolt on the rear mech of the inner cable and pulled that out. I removed the bottom bracket / motor guard for better access. I then used my Park Tool internal cable routing kit to help guide the new outer through the frame and around the motor and past the battery. I was very lucky and after some considerable pushing and pulling managed to get it between the battery and frame and out of the guide hole on the down tube. I thought the battery and motor would have to come out at one point but managed to get away with leaving them in place. The quality of the cable kit as you expect to top class. There is very little friction between the inner and outer when in use and the shifting of the bike is now better than when it come out of the factory. 
As ever shop around as there is a new version out so many retailers are selling off the older model kit. For less than £17 it has transformed the gear changing on the bike. I need to re adjust the inner cable tension as it has bedded in / stretched slightly now since the end of December when I fitted it. 

RRP £44.99 and I paid £16.69 inc 48hr P&P from SDJ Sports 

Manufacturers Blurb - 

FEATURES

  • ø 1.2 mm x 2100 mm (1 pc.)
  • ø 1.2 mm x 1800 mm (1 pc.)
  • Polymer coating
  • Stainless steel
  • Outer cap with short tongue for ST (2 pcs.)
  • Outer cap with long tongue (3 pcs.)
  • Sealed outer cap for rear derailleur (1 pc.)
  • Inner end cap (2 pcs.)
  • Cover with tongue for rear derailleur (1 pc.)
  • OT-SP41 1700 mm






No comments:

Post a Comment