10 June 2023

50 miler on County Durham old railway lines - up to Collier Law Trig Point (Stanhope/Parkhead)

 


I did plan on going out a local road ride yesterday, I got myself and the bike ready and set off. After a mile the Shimano Di2 gears stopped working. I rode back home and stripped the bike down and checked all the connections, all seemed ok. Started to charge the battery and it was completely flat even though I only charged it a couple of weeks ago. The gears were still not working a 100% with a full charge and this morning the battery is completely flat again so the bike will have to get plugged into Shimano E tube for any updates and a diagnosis check to see what is going on. 
So with that ride out of the window I was back out on my Creo gravel bike today with manual GRX! I parked up at Broompark picnic area and set off up the old railway line to Consett. It was cool with the Garmin reading 9 degrees but the lines are still bone dry and dusty. Still no rain here in Co Durham and more heat and sun forecasted next week. There was not many other people out n about early doors. Once at the junction I turned left and headed up to Parkhead. By now the sun was getting through and the temperature was gradually increasing. Once at Parkhead I went off towards the old quarry to find the trig point up on Collier Law, what a fantastic view from up there today. I had flown up the line with very little effort so I had a funny feeling what to expect on the way back down, yes a strong headwind. Not too worry as I was going downhill, just zipped my gilet back up to my neck! I was going to drop down to the reservoir but the gamekeeper from Raby estate was going down the hill in his pickup so I kept on the old railway line instead. Once back to Broompark I kept on going and headed out along the Ushaw Moor line to turn on the top of the hill before crossing the road to Brancepth and headed back. Once back at the picnic area I had covered just under 51 miles in 3hrs 46 mins with just under 2000ft of climbing. I was covered in dust and the bike was even worse. Once I got back home the bike had a good wash, degrease, dry, lube and charge back up. Below are a few snaps from the ride and a short video clip at the bottom, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 






































No comments:

Post a Comment