1 January 2023

NEW YEARS DAY - Fresh Goods Sunday - Quaxar Iris Ultralight disc brake rotor 6 hole 160mm

 


Following on from last weeks Fresh Goods Sunday replacing the disc brake pads on my Trek Procaliber I have also swapped the disc brake rotors. 
Again there was nothing wrong with the standard Shimano rotors that come with the bike from the factory but after a few rides I knew I would never need a 180mm rotor up front. My riding and braking style is far too gentle for anything bigger than the minimum 160mm. So after looking for the same model rotor in 160mm it was working out nearly as cheap to replace both rotors with some lightweight versions. I have used various models of lightweight discs in my past on numerous bikes and never had any problems with them. I always buy them from XC Racer shop as they normally have a good selection. This time I opted for the Quaxar model. They come in 140, 160 and 180mm 6 bolt versions. They all come with bolts which are reasonable quality but not as good as Shimano bolts and weighed the same. Swapping them over is simple enough, needed a 5mm and 6mm allen key to remove my wheels then a T25 driver to undo the 6 bolts and remove the old disc. I then cleaned the hub areas and placed the new discs in place, then screwed the 6 bolts in place and nipped them up. Now over the years when swapping rotors and refitting the wheels 8 of 10 times they rub in the caliper when refitting the wheels. The rear one was perfect with no scrubbing so no adjustment was required. 
On the front with dropping down 20mm in size I had to remove the adaptor and bolts as they were too long. I had a spare pair of standard bolts so swapped over the dished washers etc and bolted the caliper straight to the fork, adjusted the alignment of the caliper so the disc was not rubbing and the job was a good’un. In the process of swapping the rear rotor and down sizing and swapping the front I saved around 155g. 
So far so good with the rotors, they are not noisy and does not feel like I have lost any braking power but I havent exactly took them down an Alpine descent either! Time will time how they last but going buy other similar discs in the past they should be spot on. I could have saved a few more grams if I also swapped the rotor bolts but no budget for that at the mo. 

RRP £17.95 each and I paid £17.05 from XC Racer Shop inc 48hr p&p, you get 5% discount if you order 3 or more items in the same order. 

XC Racer / Manufacturers blurb - 

QUAXAR IRIS ULTRALIGHT DISC BRAKE ROTOR 160MM 67G!

Lose weight on a critical part of the bike, the wheel.  

We've been racing with it and it's excellent. Very similar to the Ashima Ai2 rotor.

High grade 410 Stainless Steel.

Excellent heat dissipation in both wet & dry conditions.

High friction co-efficient for maximum stopping power.

Comes with 6 decent BLACK torx bolts.

We have 180mm & 140mm in silver also.

The Quaxar brand is a new player in the braking and cable arena. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment