17 January 2023

Freezing cold, snowy but sunny ride up to Hownsgill viaduct n back

 


Well I mentioned I was sick of the rain last week and why we were not getting any frost well it snowed yesterday morning and we have had a cracking frost last night dropping down to minus - 5 degrees. The sun come out after nine so I decided to drag the bike out for a lovely wintery ride. I was not sure how bad the old railway lines were so I planned an out n back ride so if the ground conditions were getting too bad I could turn around and come back. I started at Broompark and dropped straight onto the line up to Consett. The snow was not too deep and pretty easy going apart from the sheet ice sections. The higher up towards Consett the snow was getting deeper but not too bad. The sun was out for the whole ride and felt lovely in the non shaded sections. The Garmin dipped to nearly minus -5 degrees and my water bottle was frozen. There was loads of walkers and dog walkers out but only a couple of other cyclists. All in 27.5 miles with 1000ft of climbing in 2hrs 12mins. Below are a few sunny snaps and short video clip at the bottom, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 























No comments:

Post a Comment