15 January 2023

Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano SM-CN910-12 Quick Link (12 speed chain link)

 


When I bought my Trek Procaliber xc mtb it is the first bike I have ever owned with a 12 speed drivetrain. I always like to carry a spare chain link in my saddle bag for just in case emergencies. I checked through my spares box and I have every speed nearly under the sun but no 12 speed links which I thought. Reading up on whether you could use a Sram link on a Shimano chain was giving very mixed reviews. Some saying no and some saying yes but does not work very well. The Sram links are alot cheaper than the Shimano ones but with them being “single use” I opted for the Shimano ones. I popped one into my saddle bag and kept the second one in my spares box. Shimano only sells them in packs of two as well. 
Once I changed the front chainring to reduce the size the chain became too long / slack when in the smallest cog on the rear cassette. So it was time to use the spare link I had, you need some chain pliers and a chain tool. First I removed the link and keep it even though Shimano say single use only! Then I removed a link from the chain to shorten it and fitted the new quick link. Easy enough job with the correct tools. The new link is very tight compared to Sram / KMC 11 and 10 speed links but there is no stiffness in the joints when installed. I have done loads of rides since and gear shifting is perfect with the shortened chain. I know I am a tight bugger but the rrp is just shocking but Shimano have you over a barrel if you use their chains. 
RRP £14.99 and I paid £14.99 from Inspiral Cycles (Sigma Sports & Evans Cycles £12.00, Rutland Cycles £11.40)

Manufacturers blurb - 

  • 12-speed chain quick-link for Shimano Hyperglide+ chains
  • Designed with tool-free assembly in mind for quick on-the-trail repairs
  • Pack of two
  • Not reusable










No comments:

Post a Comment