15 September 2022

Cursing around the Moors / Commons surrounding Hamsterley Forest inc Doctors Gate / Red route etc

 


Yesterday I checked the forecast for today and it was looking dry with little wind so I looked out my mtb and gave it the once over. Looking back through my Garmin history I have not took my mtb over to Hamsterley since 2018 so it was well over due. I parked up and had a ride into and straight out of the forest then over the moors to Doctors Gate. The erosion on the moor is worse than ever by the 4x4's. The puddles have always been deep but the last one towards the gate is more like a boating lake. The stretches in between are still riding dry and sandy. I then took the country lane through St Johns and up the massive climb before turning left and picking up the track along the edge of the moor to the elephant trees. At this point I was going to turn back and head into the forest for some trail centre trails but I kept on going and dropped onto the stony track coming out of the old quarry at Low Bollihope to then come out on the road from Hillend to Egglestone. After the fast descent I turned off left at the corner and dropped down the next stony track followed by the short climb and back into Hamsterley Forest. By now my legs were buzzing with all the climbing and I had two bars left on my battery. I took the fire road to The Grove and then decided to climb up the huge hill to the top of the downhill tracks instead of taking the Grove Link route back to the visitors centre. From Descend Hamsterley I followed the red route back to the visitors centre. I never seen any cyclists but two walkers walking the wrong way up Special K, just as well I can only manage around 5 mph, anyone else they would have been flattened! 
All in covered just under 22.5miles in 2hrs 8mins with 2900ft of climbing. Below are a few overcast and cold looking snaps, the sun did come out with less than a mile back to the carpark! 








































No comments:

Post a Comment