24 May 2020

Fresh Goods Sunday - USE Ultimate Sumo (Duro) Clamp Kit 9mm x 7mm CKBK9X7

Why does the cycling industry have so many standards? I know things have got to change over time but look at how many different types of bottom brackets and headsets there is, its a total mind field to say the least. If you count up how many different clamp fitting kits there are for some USE seat posts it comes to five and that will probably not cover every option there is out there in the world.
Anyway some seat post manufacturers design their clamps to fit several different sized rails, others dont. I had a USE Ti Sumo (Duro now) seat post in my spares box for quite a few years and only used it only a couple of bikes for a short time so it was like new. I decided to fit to my Specialized Creo SL after removing the dropper post. It has 10mm layback and was spot on for length. I was running a standard rail Selle Italia saddle but it was not giving me enough comfort off road. I dragged out my saddles box and found my Brooks C13 carbon railed saddle but the rails were 9mm x 7mm so went onto the USE website to see if they manufactured the correct clamp kit. A quick google led me to SJS Cycles and they had one in stock. A few days later it arrived. The reviews for the clamp on SJS were mixed so i was not sure what to expect. The quality of manufacturing looks spot on and so does the finish. It is a little fiddly to swap over but once you have the saddle rails in the clamp and the bolt through thats the battle done. One thing i did find was you have to really nip the bolt up tight to stop the saddle from tilting when in use. I have nipped up the clamp bolt twice and has not moved since.
If you were buying a new seat post and had to fork out another £26.50 it would put me off buying the seat post in the first place but i bought this one years ago from Westbrook Cycles when they were selling off their USE stock.

RRP £28 (exc p&p) and I paid £24.99 SJS Cycles plus £1.50 p&p

Manufacturers blurb -
The Duro clamp is highly acclaimed, quick fitting. A simple to adjust clamp designed ensures the perfect saddle position (full range of saddle tilt available). Forged and machined parts ensure a tight grip whatever your rails.
Size options available to suit all saddle rails.
Available in the following sizes:
- 7mm Standard Circular Rail for all standard rails
- 8mm Diameter Circular Rail for Fizik Aliante 1
- 9mm High x 7mm Wide Oval Rail for Fizik Arione CX Carbon, Antares / Selle Italia Speedneedle, Flite
- 9.7mm High x 7mm Wide Oval Rail for Fizik Antares Carbon
- 10.3mm High x 8mm Wide Oval Rail for Fizik Aliante 2 Carbon


















2 comments:

  1. Great post!! I've come to the same issue with my new carbon saddle and the existing USE Sumo seat post... Just a question, how did you remove the existing clamp kit from the seat post? does it get out easily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one 5mm allen key bolt, simple and only takes a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete