13 August 2019

Road ride - Upper Weardale / Teesdale - High Force, Chapel Fell etc

Heavy rain was forecasted all day yesterday but it never came, we had a couple of light showers and a heavy shower in the evening and that was it. Todays forecast was looking a lot more sunny but what I did not notice was the forecasted wind. I made the decision to head for the hills and parked up at Frosterley. From their I headed to Stanhope, up Unthank bank and over the never ending climbs to the top of the moor. The wind was strong and was draining me straight away. On the descent I turned right and headed to Middleton in Teesdale. My legs were burning now and it was that cold with the wind I ended up putting on my pertex to warm up over the top of my gillet, jersey and base layer! From there it was all up dale past High Force to Langdon Beck to turn right and up the second massive climb of the day to the peak of Chapel fell. The continues climb from Middleton to Langdon was into a massive headwind. On the plus side I seemed to have some sort of tailwind up Chapel Fell. The descent off the top of Chapel Fell was fast, too fast! the sheep were jumping out, water was running off the fells over the road from the weekends flooding and there was a lot of gravel washed onto the road. At St Johns Chapel I turned left and headed up to Cowshill. I did plan to keep going to Allenheads but it was too windy and the legs were not feeling it. So I turned right and took the back country lane to Daddry Shield. I dropped on the main road and turned right then left to pick up the country lane back to the bridge at Stanhope. I rode back into and through Stanhope then I decided to try a new route to Frosterley which I have looked at on maps for years but have never ridden or driven. You take the last right past the petrol station sign posted Heather View. Once over the railway bridge up a steep hill and turn left. From there you follow a narrow country lane which runs parallel to the railway then the river. This takes you out on the Hillend road so turn left, over the bridge, pub is on your left. At the top turn right and you are in Frosterley.
All in 44 miles with 4400ft of climbing. Below are a few snaps from the ride, enjoy and there is even a short video clip right at the bottom.




















































 
 
What a lovely part of Co Durham area this is and the roads are always lovely and quiet. You can go for miles with out any cars / vehicles passing by. But as you may know it is on very exposed open countryside so you have to go prepared and pick a descent day of weather if you want to enjoy the never ending views and take in the scenes.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment