11 June 2024

Coastal ride from Wearmouth Bridge, Sunderland to North Shields inc Roker, Seaburn, Whitburn, Marsden etc

 


After a busy weekend I did not get out on the bike nor yesterday either. I am off today and there was a lovely sunrise so had a drive over to Sunderland marina and parked up. I took the Creo 2 all the way up the coastal track following the cliffs etc and arrived at South Shields. I did have a go at riding up the beach as the sand was wet from the high tide and thought it would take the weight of me and the bike but I was wrong. So I hiked through the soft sand and over the dune back onto the old road. I had a massive headwind all the way north and the sun soon disappeared after Roker and it felt really cold. Everyone was well wrapped up with winter coats and hats on. When riding through South Shields sea front the sun did come back out briefly for a minute but that was it. I bumped into Jamie Brady enjoying his retirement walking the dog, lucky bugger! I hit the A183 road on the way back with a massive tailwind all the way to the Wearmouth bridge then back along the riverside to the cafe at Roker for a cuppa and sausage buttie. I could not believe how quiet the coast and the coastal road was compared to when we always go at the weekend. All in 20.5 miles in 1hr 37min with just under 600ft of climbing. Below are a few snaps and a short video clip from the ride, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 









































No comments:

Post a Comment