31 December 2022

Man Cave tinkering time - fitting Travers Bikes -Evo Prong Boost 29" carbon ridged forks to Trek Procaliber 9.8

 


We have been away for a few days in Harrogate so not had the time to get the new Travers Bikes forks fitted which I got for my birthday! On the way back from Harrogate I called in past Chevin Cycles as I knew they were Trek dealers as I was after a 10mm ahead Knock Block spacer. I was in luck as they had some spares which were removed from a bike but slightly marked. You can only buy a pack of three from Trek, more on this in an up coming Fresh Goods Sunday. 
This morning as ever in was lashing down and cold so I popped into the man cave to get start on fitting them. I removed the Fox suspension forks and set them aside. I cleaned out the headset and head tube. Fitted the fork dry and marked the length to cut the steerer. Measured the Fox fork to make sure it was exactly 10mm longer and the measurement was spot on. Once I cut the steerer I greased up the head tube cups and the bearings etc and fitted the new MT Zoom steerer expander, again more soon in Fresh Goods Sunday. 
On the Travers forks the front brake hose runs down the inside of the for leg so you have to disconnect and re bleed etc but I wanted to try the forks out first before doing this so slipped some old Garmin mount bands up the fork leg to keep the hose in place. I might swap these for some thin black velcro straps I have. The forks look spot on and match the gloss black frame well. I will also see if the front end is a little too high now with adding the additional spacer. Easy to cut the steerer tube again than cut it too short in the first place! Air pressure also needs dropping in the front tyre. 
And before you ask yes the bike is lighter, just over 900g = 2 lbs in old mans terms saving. This should bring the bare bike down to around 9.34kg
More on the forks soon in a Fresh Goods Sunday, once I get some miles on them. 













No comments:

Post a Comment