25 December 2022

CHRISTMAS DAY - Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano Disc Brake Pad Metal with Fin J04C - MF (Y8LW98030)

 


Firstly can I just say Merry Christmas to all the people that read my Blog, I know it has not been that exciting regarding rides this year but hopefully I might start to get out n about further a field new year for some different scenes and landscapes. Enjoy and more to follow soon- 
After buying the Trek Procaliber 9.8 I noticed that the stock Shimano XT calipers come with non finned pads as you would expect. I checked the Shimano website to see what the code was for the finned version of the pads. There was two different models of pads but I opted for the J04C. A quick google and found these from Fawkes Cycles who I have used in the past for a few items. The discount is good and I have always received excellent and fast service from them. I opted for three pairs so I had a spare pair. There was nothing wrong with the standard pads and they were not wearing too quickly and had no problems with them but these look better in the calipers and on the bike. I have used them now for a couple of months and have had no problems with them over heating / fade etc. I am not that heavy on my braking unless its a very long / steep downhill. They have not suffered from the dreaded loud squealing noise either. Since fitting the new pads I have also swapped my rotors which will follow in a Fresh Goods Sunday. Swapping them over was simple enough with a pair of cranked needle nose pliers to remove the rear safety pin and an allen key to remove the bolt. I always smear a little copper slip on the threaded part of the pin before screwing back in again. With my other pads being like new I did not have to retract the pistons to fit the new ones. There is no way on earth the pads are worth the rrp so as ever shop around for a good deal. 

RRP £34.99 and I paid £18.75 inc 48hr p&p from Fawkes Cycles - 46% discount 

Manufacturer's blurb - 
  • Lining material: Metal
  • More braking power and durability
  • With radiator fin
  • Provides long pad life and less fade by cooling technology
  • Pad shape: Narrow type, J
  • Piston: For 2-piston brake caliper
  • Back plate: Composite (alloy & stainless)
  • 1-pair package









No comments:

Post a Comment