11 December 2022

More snow & ice so time to fit my new Quaxar disc rotors

 


Firstly a little catch up, me and Jane had a drive up to Newcastle yesterday for a look around as we have not been around the city centre for a long time. Fenwick's Christmas window has got to be the worst I have ever seen in all my years of going. I also had a breakfast from Fenwick's and that has gone right down hill as well. It was £11 for a few items and a cuppa was extra on top. Once over you got a massive plate full inc a drink for £8. A lot of shops have closed that we used to go to inc Evans Cycles, I knew that would not last, the building was massive, why they needed three floors god knows. The Christmas market was dreadful, waste of time and money. 
Anyway I was hoping to get back out on the bike this morning for another short blast but more overnight snow and minus -3 degrees temperature put me off so after a few hours of jobs around the house we nipped out over to the crem and for a cuppa at the Botanics café before heading back home. 
Then I got on with swapping my disc rotors on my Trek Procaliber. There was nothing with the standard XT 6 bolt 180mm & 160mm rotors but I fancied dropping the size down on the front and some lightweight bling ones. I have used similar rotors in the past on a few bikes and never had any real problems with them. I bought them from XC Racer shop - online. £17.95 each less 5% discount inc p&p. 
Swapping them over is easy enough with a T25 allen key and a 5 & 6mm allen keys to remove my wheels and front calliper. The rotors come with six half descent bolts inc washers so used them (same weight as the Shimano bolts and washers). I refitted the rear wheel and the front wheel. I loosened off the front brake calliper bolts and removed the adaptor from the forks. I then looked out some standard length bolts and swapped over the dished washers etc and refitted the calliper. I had to re align the front calliper but the back rotor was not rubbing at all. I weighed everything and saved around 155g! 
More on the discs in an up coming Fresh Goods Sunday. As for this week well looking at the long term forecast we are not going to get over 1 or 2 degrees through the day all week so cannot see the ice and snow melting anytime soon. 




My scales are slightly out, claimed weight 69g












3 comments:

  1. Off topic, but can you tell me where you now have the Specialized Road Remote buttons on your handlebars? I know you installed them by the stem initially. Did you change that position?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you mentioned this in a later blog post? (I tried to find a reference...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have kept them in the same place but the ones on my Creo set up for road really need moving nearer to the hoods. Regards

    ReplyDelete