16 October 2022

Lovely sunny but very windy ride around Durham, Maiden Castle and Houghall - New hardtail XC MTB!

 


I woke up early (well not too early for me) and the forecast was looking good apart from the 30-45mph wind! I was hoping to get out a road ride but that was out of the window. After washing, drying and checking over three bikes yesterday they were already to roll. So, I took the Cube e mtb out for my Durham loop which is mainly sheltered so I would get less of a battering from the wind. I caught the sunrise today and it was beautiful when out on the tracks n trails on the mtb. Durham was lovely and quiet at 7.30 on a Sunday morning! The woods have started to soften up and will be ankle deep in places if we get much more rain. I made the most of the mainly dry line through Houghall woods and had a good blast. By the time I was coming back around Durham and out towards home there was a few more others out and about enjoying the sun and wind. I can also report that the new Specialized tyres are proving very good and have not let me down yet in any conditions I have put them through. More of an update in Fresh Goods Sundays in the next few weeks. All in 18 miles with 1100ft of climbing in 1hr 32 mins. Below are a few snaps from the ride and a short video clip, enjoy and hopefully more soon - 


























I have been looking at buying a new xc mtb for a while and decided to go back to normal (non electric) one this time. There is not a lot of high end hardtail mtbs on the market now and that are in stock in the UK in the correct size. I have whittled the list down to two - Cannondale & Trek. 



Cannondale Scalpel HT Carbon 2 Large rrp £4250 - Pedalon Cycles £3300 - 22%


Trek Procaliber 9.8 Dark Prismatic / Trek Black Large rrp £4075 - Team Cycles £3350 less £33.50 Customer Rewards- 19% 


Trek Procaliber 9.8 Radioactive Red to Cobra Blood Fade Large rrp £3775 - Team Cycles £3208 less £32.08 Customer Rewards - 16%


I don't have any 12 speed bikes so had to buy some spare Shimano 12 speed quick links, only come in two pack and at an eye watering price! Getting ready for the new beast arriving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment