9 October 2022

Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano Dura Ace R9100 SPD-SL Pedals

 


I wasn't really looking for a new pair of road pedals but when we called in past Evans Cycles at Gateshead a while ago, I seen these in the cabinet where the till is. I thought to myself by they are cheap! Well I could not resist so I am back onto Shimano road pedals again. I have been using Time for many years now, the major disadvantages with Time are the replacement cleats are sometimes hard to find, the cleat are made from very soft plastic so don't last long if you do any walking in them. The engagement can be hit n miss at times as well but there is plenty of float if you like that. Looking at the Shimano SPD-SL range of pedals it does not look like the technology or design has changed much if anything since I last used them. As with all Dura Ace components the quality is second to none and the bearings are silky smooth. Fitting is simple enough with an allen key in the end of the axle spindle. I did not check the weight of them before fitting, but Shimano is never far away. The Dura Ace models comes with the Blue cleats. More on the cleats in the next Fresh Goods Sunday. One thing that has changed is there are too different axle lengths, normal and +4mm. These are the normal width model but the extra 4mm would come in handy when wearing my Northwave winter boots which will be coming out soon after this morning very cold road ride. In use the engagement is smooth and easy to find. Clicking out is stiffer compared to Time but after a few rides I am used to it now. There is a tension adjuster on the back of both pedals. I have mine set to minimum tension. As they wear in I may have to give it a couple of turns, will see how it goes. As ever with all cycle components shop around and you will probably get a better deal than the rrp which as ever with Dura Ace is eye watering to say the least! There is one thing for sure they are defo worth £115 that I paid for them. 

RRP £235 and I paid £115 from Evans Cycles, Gateshead. Discount 51% 

Manufacturers blurb - 

  • FEATURES
  • Optimized balance of weight and rigidity
  • Injection-moulded carbon-composite body
  • Extra-wide platform for stability and power transfer
  • Wide bearing placement for uniform load distribution
  • Customize the entry and release tension settings
  • SHIMANO 3-year limited warranty
  • 4 mm longer axle model available
  • PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

    MODEL NOPD-R9100
    SERIESDURA-ACE R9100 Series
    ColorCFRP
    Average weight228 ( /pair)
    Remarks4 mm longer axle available, Hollow cleat screws
    Wide platform
    Road clearance (deg.)35
    BindingSingle Sided
    Cleat includedSM-SH12
    Cleat retention adjuster
    Optional cleatSM-SH10, SM-SH11
    TypeRoad
    ReflectorSM-PD63
    Sealed mechanism
    Stack height (mm)14.6
    Pedal center (mm)52










  • No comments:

    Post a Comment