1 May 2022

Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano DURA ACE / XTR RT-MT900 Disc Rotor Ice-Tech FREEZA (160mm Centrelock)

 


With buying another pair of DT Swiss wheels for my Creo gravel set up I needed another pair of 160mm disc rotors. I have a couple of pairs of Dura Ace SM RT900 but Shimano have stopped making them since they launched the updated Dura Ace groupset. They are now using the MTB XTR rotor and renamed it RT-MT rotor. Some riders had problems with the previous Dura Ace model rotor but I cannot say I have have had any issues. 
So I took the rotors off my road bike and fitted them onto the new 650b wheelset so they match the rotors on my 700c wheels for the same bike. I then fitted the newer model onto my deep section DT Swiss road wheelset on my creo set up for the road. Fitting is simple with the splined locking, dont forget you need the Specialized speed sensor lockring for the rear. 
I cleaned them with cleaner before using but they squealed like a pig on the first ride. I cleaned them again and the second ride and they were quieter. The third ride very little squealing. I cannot notice any difference in performance or stopping power between the models. I did not suffer from over heating on the older model either. Time will tell how they perform. In my eyes the older model looked better on the eye but he ho. 

RRP £59.99 and I paid £54.49 from Merlin Cycles in 48hr p&p - Discount 9% 

Manufacturers Blurb - 

  • XTR RT-MT900 Ice Tech rotors providing consistent braking performance through energy control, using revolutionary stainless steel / alloy 3-layer sandwich construction that manages heat while riding
  • The clad steel / alloy / steel rotor construction allows heat generated from braking to radiate quickly through the aluminium core achieving surface temperature drops of around 50 deg C. When used with Ice Tech pads surface temperatures can drop from around 400 to 300 deg C, this provides great improvements in performance all round
  • FREEZA rotors allow the alloy core to extend out from the braking surface as a fin to providing added cooling
  • Ice Tech rotors achieve long pad life, less noise and less fade due to improved heat dispersion
  • Rotors are durable lightweight and rigid, using the proven Shimano Center Lock system giving increased strength and security with an easy set-up
  • Precision cut braking surface improves pad clearing in muddy conditions while aiding cooling under high load
  • Large alloy spider is a highly rigid and lightweight support for the rotor surface
  • Super polished braking surface gives excellent braking performance











I found an old XTR rotor in my spares box and popped it onto the scales for a comparison


All kitted out and ready to rock n roll over the country lanes of Co Durham and beyond! 




No comments:

Post a Comment