8 May 2022

Fresh Goods Sunday - Abbey Bike Tools - Crombie Thru dual sided cassette lockring tool (Standard version)

 


I bought this a while ago as the cassette tool I have from Park (FR-5) is just the head which I have had for many years but I have to use my big adjustable spanner as the handle. I have never bought, owned or used any Abbey bike tools so I thought I would give them a try instead of Park Tool or Silca. Looking at the rrp on the tools I was expecting something beyond the quality of Park Tool and around the luxury of Silca. When it arrived it come in a cheap poly bag, no fancy box / packaging here. Once opened the quality of the finish is ok but nothing too flash. The welding between the head and handle is ok, seen far better. There is a mark down the handle which does not come off. Now it was time to use the tool on cassette lockrings and disc rotor lockrings. No problems with clearance etc and the handle offers plenty of leverage. The handle does not feel great in your palm, too narrow diameter for me. Overall I am disappointed in Abbey Bike Tools and don't come near the quality to most of my Park Tools and a million miles away from the quality and build of Silca tools. I have not got a clue where the rrp's come from but my first tool from them is a let down and wished I had saved a few quid and bought the Park Tool FR-5.2H. On the plus side it is dual headed and that is about the only plus point I can find. 

RRP was £47 and I paid £44.65 from Sigma Sports inc 48hr p&p. (Then it dropped to £39.95 on Sigma Sports website - 15% discount). The new rrp with Saddleback is £56.00! 

Manufactures blurb - With thru axles becoming more and more common the original Crombie tool was due for a makeover. We took the piloting pin and plus sized it to work with the 12mm thru axle fitment that is actually standardized. We make this version as a dual sided tool with two S Group ends, one for thru axle wheels and the other for regular hubs. The regular side has a hole deep enough to hide a skewer nut, it's really the best of both worlds.

The STANDARD version comes with a solid handle while the SUPER LIGHT has a hollow handle to save weight for the travelling mechanic. SL handles are plenty durable for lockrings that are torqued close to the 40 NM spec. If you commonly come across over torque lockrings get the standard handle. 

Note, this version of the Crombie tool is not compatible with any Campagnolo wheels.

Dimensions: 9.625in x 1.0in

 














The chain whip does not come with cassette tool, more on this one in a few months or so after some more use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment