3 October 2021

Cold, windy, wet and sunny loop - The Angle, Gateshead, Consett and Home 45 miles

 


Yesterday we had a family morning out to Bishop Auckland for the food festival. We were there early and got parked up at Morrisons and did some shopping first before having a walk down the town for some shopping and the festival. We haven't been for a few months and even Poundland has closed down along with a few others. It is the worst I have seen Bishop high street. There is just nothing left in the town now. The Food festival was spot on and we got a few goodies from some of the stalls / sellers and had a rather expensive cuppa in the Town Hall. We just got home and heavens opened for the afternoon. 
Today the forecast was looking ok'ish so I swapped the wheels on my Spec Creo gravel back onto the DT Swiss 700c ones as I had a longer road / gravel mix loop planned. I was up and out just after 7am and it was cold but dry. The roads were wet after the overnight rain. I headed off down the cycle lane to Chester Le Street then straight onto Birtley, Low Fell, Gateshead and stopped at the Angle and the Baltic for a few photos. I had a tailwind all the way up and some sun. From there is was the cycle track up to the Metro Centre then left and onto the old railway line all the way up to Consett. It was getting darker and darker with a strong headwind. The line was very soft / muddy in places and was slow going. It started drizzling then the heavens opened about 3 miles outside Consett. On the plus side the line was not too busy so I just kept my head down for the long drag up. The Garmin never got above 6 degrees but I had me new SS Storck baselayer, new Gore C3 LS thermo winter jersey and my Gore Goretex jacket on. At the Consett junction after a few snaps it was straight over and down to Lanchester, Langley Park, Bearpark where the rain eased and the sun tried to come out. By now my legs / thighs were starting to burn a little. At Baxsters Farm I turned left and hit the road up the hills -Toll House and Whitesmocks before hitting Fram front street then Abbey road and back home. 
All in just over 45 miles in 3hrs 14 mins with an average 13.9mph and climbed 1800ft. 
Below are a few snaps from the loop, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 











































No comments:

Post a Comment