14 May 2023

Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano PD-RS500 SPD-SL Pedals

 


I bought some new road pedals for my Creo road bike a while ago - Shimano Dura Ace replacing my Time pedals. As I have two road bikes both with Time pedals I had to replace the pedals on my Cannondale Synapse Neo as well. I did not want to spend too much on them as I don't use this bike very often but wanted a Shimano road pedal that uses the same cleats. After some googling I found these which looked very good value for money and came with the yellow cleats (which I fitted to my Northwave winter road boots). I was not expecting too much as the cleats rrp is £21 so that makes the pedals £16.90! On opening the box the quality looks spot on and the axle feels lovely and smooth. There is not much to them with a simple allen key bolt to adjust the tension. In use they are spot on, easy enough to engage into and to clip out of. The float is the same as the Dura Ace as I have the same yellow cleats fitted. Yes they are not the lightest pedals in the range but nor is the bike. To be honest I really cannot see how Shimano can justify the rrp on Dura Ace / Ultegra pedals when they churn these out at such a low price. 

RRP £59.99 and I paid £37.90 from Sigma Sports inc 48hr p&p - Discount 37% 

Manufacturers blurb - 

  • Easy step in, easy step out
  • Lighter spring tension optimized for beginner riders
  • Larger entry target for easier engagement
  • Cascaded features from top-tier systems
  • Extra-wide platform transfers pedalling power efficiently
  • Durable stainless steel body plate reduces flex and pedal body wear
  • PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

    MODEL NOPD-RS500
    SERIESSHIMANO
    ColorBlack
    Average weight320 ( /pair)
    Road clearance (deg.)30
    BindingSingle Sided
    Cartridge axle
    Cleat includedSM-SH11
    Cleat retention adjuster
    Optional cleatSM-SH10, SM-SH12
    TypeRoad
    ReflectorSM-PD65
    Sealed mechanism
    Stack height (mm)16.5
    Pedal center (mm)53

















  • No comments:

    Post a Comment