5 June 2021

Earth, Wind & Tyre Sportive - well half of it, sort of.

 


I noticed loads of orange arrows when I was out and about yesterday at work then I realised it was the Earth, Wind & Tyre Sportive today. I looked at the route many weeks ago but forgot all about it. Last night I looked at the route again and with the forecast looking so good I had a rough half route planned in my head. I live less than 1/4 mile away from the route going through Rotary Way roundabout. I followed the route from there all the way until 3/4 of the way up the hill out of Lanchester. I don't like the turbine road as I call it as cars fly along there 70+mph towards Tow Law. So I took the much quieter country lane that runs opposite through Cornsay up to Inkerman. The sportive route then dropped down to Wolsingham, at Tow Law I did my diversion to Sunniside, Stanley Crook, Brancepeth then the back way to New Brancepeth, Langley Moor to pick up the official route again. I did a few tweaks from there over to Hetton / Houghton / Lumley / Plawsworth and a small extra loop at the end to get the mileage over fifty. There was some gentle wind in places but not too bad and sun shone the whole time. It was starting to get really hot when I got back in from the ride. Not sure what it was but I was buzzing and could have gone further to be honest. I had 4 bars of power left on the display but when I checked the app it said there was 62% left from 150% as I had the extender battery fitted. All in just under 51 miles in 3hrs 24 min, ave 14.9mph with 4000ft of climbing. Below are a few snaps, I thought I stopped / took some more but must have had my head down! 
Official ROUTE 108.8 miles with 8280ft of climbing, cracking route. 
My unofficial 1/2 cobbled together ROUTE
















No comments:

Post a Comment