7 February 2024

Gavel ride from Broompark Picnic Area to Parkhead cafe (Crawleyside) n back on Creo 1

 


Today was the best day this week in the long term forecast so I booked a holiday in from work. I got the bike ready last night- front and rear lights charged up and fitted, pumped up the tyres, fitted my Garmin, water bottle in the cage and it was ready. 
I was up and out well before sunrise and parked up at Broompark picnic area. I hoped onto the old railway towards Consett and it was lovely and quiet. The open sections were frozen but still damp in places in the shaded / wooded areas. By the time I reached Lanchester the Garmin had dipped to minus -4.5 degrees! It was nippy but I had three long sleeved tops on, winter tights, boots, gloves and new Merino Baa Baa Endura winter socks. I also had my 45nrth peak cap and balaclava to keep the old noggin warm'ish. There was no sunrise at 7.50am but the sun did try and come out when I reached Knitsely. That was short lived and it was mainly overcast and a slight headwind all the way from Consett to Parkhead cafe. I seen Colin Murley and his son coming down from Parkhead and I had a tailwind may I add. I also seen tall Alan (canoot remember his surname) from the old cx / Derwentside CC days going up. Then I seen Colin and his son heading back up the line, fit as a lop! The sun did come out around Knitsley again and made the remaining ride much more pleasant on the way back. The frost was melting and coming out of the top of the old railway line, starting to make it soft going in places. Canny few dog walkers out from Lanchester onwards which made it rather stop / start but my legs needed a rest by then. Once back to Broompark I had done 43 miles in 3hrs 17 min, ave 13.1mph with 1600ft of climbing. Below are a few snaps from the ride, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 
























No comments:

Post a Comment