18 March 2022

Todays spin in the sun - Roker, South Shields, The Toon n back


After yesterdays ride I charged up the bike, lights, Garmin and camera ready for todays ride. I planned a route that I have not done for many years, in fact looking back through my Garmin account I think it might have been 2012! My legs were not up to the full loop from home so I parked up at South Pelaw again and joined the C2C and dropped down to Cox Green. Again there was a hard frost but no ice today. The Garmin was reading nearly minus -3 degrees! From there I continued down to Sunderland, Roker then up the coast to South Shields. This is by far the best part of the route with the sun blazing away and lovely clear views out to sea. I got myself a little lost around the top end of Shields on the way to the Pedestrian Tyne Tunnel. They have took one of the escalators out at each end and installed a new lifts but they are still not working so I used the lifts instead. Once out on the Newcastle side I think they have changed Route 72 slightly before passing under the red arch but I got there in the end. Nothing has changed along this section to Newcastle Quayside. Still loads of glass, graffiti, dog poo, rubbish, litter and massive tree roots / cracks in the track. Newcastle quayside was nice and quiet, nipped over the bridge and picked up the A167 back to where the C2C crosses over at the black bridge. Back onto the old railway line for a mile and that was me done and so were my legs! 
All in just under 41 miles with 1600ft of climbing in 3hours 5 mins. Below are a few photos from the ride, enjoy and hopefully more soon- 

















































No comments:

Post a Comment