21 June 2020

Fresh Goods Sunday - SunRace CSMX8 EAY 11-42t 11 Speed Cassette (Black)

The Specialized Creo come with a Sunrace cassette from standard. I have only used Sunrace components once before and that was another cassette on my Cannondale Slate. I had no problems with that and chain shifted up and down the cassette without any problems but it did weigh a ton. The higher end Creo’s come with a wide ratio Shimano XT cassette. I had a look at xt model and looked reasonable value for money pre lockdown and the weight was slightly lighter than the Sunrace one I had fitted. Then when I was looking at the Sunrace specs I came across this bling model and could not resist! After shopping around it was cheaper than an xt and lighter so ordered one. Straight out of the box its bling factor shines with the anodised spider body and lockring. Fitting is simple enough and only took a few minutes. You need a Shimano cassette locking ring remover tool and thats it. I always clean the freehub body down and smear a little grease on before sliding the new cassette on. I also apply a smear of copper slip to lockring threads as well. Put the wheel back into the frame and checked through the gears to make sure they all still indexing, no probs. In use I cannot tell any difference between the two cassettes, both are smooth and have the same amount of noise when shifting up and down the cassette. I have ridden over 200 miles on it now and the black is still on the teeth but that will wear with more miles / grit etc. The weight is near bang on with the claimed weight  , 9 grams lighter on my scales =410grams. 
If you have never looked at Sunrace cassettes before they manufacture loads of different models, combination of speeds and ratios inc some whopping mtb models. 

RRP £85.00 and I paid £59.99 Merlin Cycles (Bike Discount de around £49 if you have enough items to get you over the free p&p)

Manufacturers Blurb -

Speed - 11-Speed (Wide Ratio)
Function - Fluid Drive Plus™
Number of teeth - 11-42T
Gear combination - 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36-42
Spider material - Aluminum / Red Anodized
Sprockets on Spider - 6 on 2 
Sprocket material 1-10 - Hi-Tensile SteelSprocket material 11th - A7075 Aluminum / Anodized
Sprocket Finsih - black chrome
Spacer material - Aluminum / Red Anodized


Lockring material - Aluminum / Red Anodized
Chain Compatibility - 11 speed
Ave Weight - 419g


















I also removed the rotor and cleaned it down and refitted whilst i had the rear wheel out. 


The SunRace cassette that I removed

Saving 61g, woo who! 




No comments:

Post a Comment