18 March 2019

Velo 29 Redcar Beach XC Race & todays ride.

This is the first time I have been to a beach bike race. I fancied the Sandblasted one but Druridge Bay is a canny old hike away. It was an out and back course with soft sand at each end. The straights were solid sand. There was a massive headwind on the way and a tailwind on the way back in. When I looked at the course before the race started I thought the out leg was set too low on the beach and I was right. The outward leg was washed away and the tide was over onto the home leg. By god the north sea was cold splashing up my back and legs. Both the lanes in my eyes were far too wide and could have run the whole course in the width of one. They must have been 10m each! I covered 16 laps in just over an hour on the E bike lol. I was a couple of mph faster into the headwind but they flew past me with the tailwind! Defo do it again and there is plenty of scope to go off into the dunes etc. There are three galleries on Neccl Facebook page.







 
I have a confession to make, I have deleted all my photos from the camera inc the ones from todays ride! But I did take the Synapse Neo out for a spin on the roads inc some gravel in between. I headed out on the back road to Finchale, then the back road to Great Lumley, West Rainton, Low Pittington, Sherburn Village, Bowburn then off road to Sunderland Bridge. I then took the country lane to Hett Village, then over to Spennymoor to meet up with Jane. Here are some stats - 21.5miles, 1hr 24 min, ave 15.1mph and 1200ft of climbing. The sun was in out and there was a good old nip in the air. Just started raining as I was going through Spennymoor.
Enjoy and hopefully more soon inc some photos lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment