19 March 2019

Trip up to Kielder Forest

I have been meaning to go up to Kielder for a while now but cannot seem to catch any good weather when I am free. I was going to go yesterday but had other things to do so decided today was the day. I left Durham in a beautiful sun rise. The further north I was heading on the A68 is was getting darker and darker. The last 30 odd miles to go the wipers was never turned off in the van!
The first route was Deadwater fell, I could not see the top or even half way up from he bottom so knew it was going to be grim. The climb up was ok and enjoyed it. The last section after the very last corner there was a massive headwind, lashing rain and hovering just over 2.5 degrees! A few photos and headed back down. The down hill is well washed out so took it steady. The next section back down to the car park was not too bad. Once I was back at the start I checked the battery level and I had only used one bar so set off on the Osprey blue route. The second bar went straight away. The heavens opened again whilst on the trudge / boring forest drive and fire road on the way out. After that when you hit the single track it is much better. It spits you out on the Lakeside way and is 4 miles back to Kielder on a very undulating / twisty track. Once back at the van there was two bars left out of the five so put the spare battery in and headed off out on the Lonesome Pine red route. Again it uses the lakeside way (South side this time) for just under 4 miles before turning off and into the wilderness. When I reached the board walk section the sun came out so tackled the slick rick planks. You could not stand on them, turn the front wheel or brake - lethal! The climb up to the boardwalk is very rough going and well washed out. The descent off the top is ok but again rough going in places. It drops you out at the petrol station on the edge of village. I had used two bars and I had another spare battery so could have done the Lakeside Way or drove around to Newcaselton but I was wet and cold'ish. There is always another day!
All in 33 miles, just under 5000ft of climbing, 3hours 17 mins. Below are a few snaps and a video, enjoy and hopefully more soon -











































































and here is a short video from the top of Deadwater Fell

No comments:

Post a Comment