3 March 2019

Fresh Goods Sunday - Shimano Dura Ace Ice Tech Freeza Centre-Lock Rotor SM-RT900


When I bought the Cannondale Synapse Al 1 Neo most of the groupset was Dura Ace apart from the disc rotors and cassette which were Ultegra. I have looked at the new ice tech freeza rotors for a while now but never used them. I have read good reviews on them but it was always the price that has put me off upgrading / buying them. Well I have used them and cannot say anything negative about the 160mm Ultegra models. They have stopped me without problems on the Neo. I have gave them a good work out slowing down / stopping me on some really steep long descents in upper Weardale with speeds of 55+mph! The only thing that puts me of the Ultegra ones on my Al 1 model is that all the centre section fins are silver. The bike and wheels is nearly all black. With me wanting to run both 650b and 700c wheels I took them off the Vision Carbon 700c wheels and fitted them onto the Hunt 650b wheels. I then bought a pair of the Dura Ace models and fitted them onto the Vision wheels for a more blacker / stealthy look! I cannot see any difference between the two models apart from the centre fins are black instead of silver. The black coating must add the 5 grams per rotor onto the Dura Ace ones! see the photos of the scales below. Time will tell how they perform but at the rrp they want to bang on. Fitting is simple enough if you have the right tool, takes a lot less time than 6 bolt rotors. Each rotor comes with the locking ring.
RRP £69.99 and I paid £54.87 inc p&p per rotor

Manufacturers Blurb -
Dura-Ace SM-RT900 Ice Tech rotors providing consistent braking performance through energy control, using revolutionary stainless steel / alloy 3-layer sandwich construction that manages heat while riding.
The clad steel / alloy / steel rotor construction allows heat generated from braking to radiate quickly through the aluminium core achieving surface temperature drops of around 50 deg C. When used with Ice Tech pads surface temperatures can drop from around 400 to 300 deg C, this provides great improvements in performance all round.
Key Features:
  • FREEZA rotors allow the alloy core to extend out from the braking surface as a fins to the Centre-Lock mount adapter to providing added cooling
  • Ice Tech rotors achieve long pad life, less noise and less fade due to improved heat dispersion
  • Rotors are durable lightweight and rigid, using the proven Shimano Centre-Lock system giving increased strength and security with an easy set-up
  • Precision cut and drilled braking surface improves pad clearing in muddy conditions while aiding cooling under high load
  • Large alloy spider is a highly rigid and lightweight support for the rotor surface
  • Super polished braking surface gives excellent braking performance
  • Average weight 94 grams (140 mm)


 









 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment