24 February 2019

Saturday morning road ride from Stanhope inc Chapel Fell etc - Cannondale Synapse Neo Al 1

Well you may or may not have noticed that I had a test ride on Cannondale Synapse Neo - E road bike when we were over in the Lakes. Well I have only gone and bought one from Jason / Paul at Westbrook Cycles and this was its first shake down ride. I have been wanting to get back out on the local roads for a while now and get back into the hills etc. I have done a few road rides on the E mtb and it is ok with the forks locked out going up the hills, ok coming down the hills but anything in between is slow and very draggy after the 15mph limit. I have been looking at the e bike road scene for a couple of months and read into the various motors / batteries etc.
Cannondale have opted to use the Bosch Active Line Plus 250w motor and a Powertube 500wh battery. We now have three e bikes all with the same battery so that will be handy for swapping around, spare battery if required etc. The Active Line plus is lower wattage compared to the Performance line cx motor on the mtb's which is a good thing for the road and the one thing I was concerned about was the amount of drag after the 15mph limit. Well after the first ride I can say it is defo way better than the mtb but there is still some there which you would expect. This model also comes with the new Bosch Kiox display unit, way better than the Purion for the road
I will not go into too much detail at the mo about the bike until a few more rides are under my saddle. As for the ride will I covered over 5000ft of climbing in the 33.5 miles and there was still 24% of charge left. There is a reason why I took it up to Weardale, it was not only try out the bike but to also check to make sure I could get up the hills with the 11-30t on the back. The 2 model that I tried in the lakes has a 11-34t and so does the 3 model below. Well I climbed up to Rookhope, Scarsike Head, Middlehope Bank, Chapel Fell & Crawleyside. On some of the 20+% sections I was in Turbo and the 30t and it climbed spot on, even into a massive headwind. Here is a link to my ROUTE and Crawleyside on the way back to Stanhope. Below are a few snaps, enjoy and hopefully more soon -



First climb of the day, up to Rookhope

















Yes that dead straight road in the distance is what I am going to climb up!











No Alston today but there are plenty more days for a trip over to Alston.






Top of Chapel Fell










Took these couple of pics before heading up Crawleyside.


Now I was going to take it steady going up Crawley but a 8 to 9 stone climbing machine passed me right at the bottom so tried to keep with him, he was in sight all the way until right at the top after the dipper he pulled away. Turbo all the way!









Below should be a video clip from the top of Chapel Fell



No comments:

Post a Comment