8 August 2021

Sunday morning road ride to the Toon and some climbing on the way back


Well it was a case of do I go for a ride or not this morning. I did not get out on the bike yesterday as we went shopping through at Seaham as the Food Festival was on (and today). The forecast was a complete bag of mixed weather and the BBC & Met were miles apart. It was forecasted sun, cloud, hot, cold, thunder storms, light rain well guess what I decided to go out for a road road ride and I had the the lot chucked at me all in one ride. It was started of cloudy and around 13 degrees but no wind heading north to the toon. On the way back I had a head wind and by time I had climbed up to to Stanley the sun was out and it was 18 degrees. I pulled up and took arm warmers off then heading over to Annfield Plain it had clouded over again. Then on through Maiden Law it was starting to get very dark and a few massive rain drops in the air. Straight over at the crossroads and along the very fast top road to Burnhope the heavens opened and the temperature had dropped to 13 degrees. The road is too fast and dangerous to stop and put my coat on in the verge so I pedalled like crazy in the thunder storm to get under a tree near the carpark. By now I was soaked to the bone and the water running out of the end of my shoes! I sheltered under the trees until it blew over and set off again. By the time I was descending down the hill from Broom House Farm to Witton Gilbert half way down the road there was a line on road, one side soaking wet and the other bone dry. The temperature had shot back up to 19 degrees and I was boiling in my pertex jacket. By now I was not too far away from home and my gilet was soaking wet stuffed in my jersey pocket so I kept plodding away in the heat. There was not too much traffic out on the roads and I seen loads of other roadies out on the roads. 
Below are a few snaps from the ride and a short video clip at the bottom. All in just under 42 miles in 2hrs 48mins with 3100ft of climbing, max speed 40mph. Enjoy and hopefully more soon- 





Been a few years since I have had a look around the Mart on Lobbley Hill

The garage where I bought my current van! 























No comments:

Post a Comment