30 August 2021

PART 1 - Specialized Creo SL 650b / 27.5" wheels with 2.00" tyres

 


I got a message yesterday afternoon saying my new wheels were ready to collect so we had a spin out last night to collect them. There is nothing flash or bling about them, hopefully just a strong pair of reliable wheels that will take in some rough stuff. 
Today, Bank Holiday Monday yes its cold, raining and just plain miserable out there so what a great time to get them built up and fitted into the the bike. I had the disc rotors, cassette, lockring's, tyres, tubleless tape and tubes all at the ready. I have a new pair of 2" tyres on order but there is no stock in the uk so they are on back order for approx 6 weeks. So I fitted the Ultegra 140mm rotors with lockring and the speed sensor lockring on the rear. Cleaned and fitted the Sunrace cassette. Cleaned the rims with some meths and fitted the tubeless tape ready for the new tubeless tyres. I then fitted my old tyres, saying that the Conti has only done a few short rides with some Schwable extralight inner tubes. Pumped them up and seated the beads onto the rims. 
Now they were finished it was time to try them in the frame / fork for clearance. Front first and there is plenty clearance on the crown of the fork but around <5mm clearance on the sides, this will clog in uk's winter mud but I have my mtb for real muddy rides. Then it was onto the rear. There is plenty of clearance on the seat stays on both sides but a lot tighter on the chain stays with around <5mm clearance on both sides. Again this will clog with uk muddy rides. I have kept the old 700c DT Swiss rims and spokes as I might get them rebuilt if I ever sell the bike. 
I gave it a quick spin around the block and all seems ok, no brake rub and gears are indexing. I will hopefully get out for a test ride this week and see how it spins. 






DT Swiss HGC 1400 spline 27.5" 1706g (Claimed) rrp £1865
Mine 1788g = 82g difference 
Pair of rims £70.38
Tubeless tape £6.99
Strip down a pair of wheels / 48no spokes / nipples and build wheels £80
Total £157.37 (Reusing existing hubs from bike)











No comments:

Post a Comment