13 August 2021

A 60 mile gravel adventure on County Durham's disused railway lines

 

Well last night I made time to get the bike and all my kit ready for an early morning adventure on some of County Durham's old disused railway lines. I was looking through my Garmin Connect and found a 60 mile route that I last did when there was a heatwave and thought I would give it another go. This time there was no heatwave forecast but up to 29 mph winds! I parked up at Broompark and headed up the line to Lydgetts junction at Consett. From there I turned left and up to Parkhead. This is where the headwind started properly and was hard going especially the last 2.5 miles over the open moor section. I had a quick energy bar and drink break before heading back to Broompark. The line at the top was very quite and only seen 2 people in 16 miles. Once I was back at Broompark I took off my arm warmers as the temperature went from 10 degrees up to 17 degrees and also took my pertex out of my jersey pocket. Another quick snack / drink then back on the old railway line to Stanley Crook. Again a headwind nearly all the way out. At the top a quick stop for a photo / video clip then back to Broompark again. All in 60 miles on the nose in 4hrs 17 mins with 2450ft of climbing. I did not need my spare second battery for the bike as the main battery had 14% left, not bad considering the amount of headwind I had. Below are a few photos and some videos clips for ride. Enjoy and hopefully more soon- 












































No comments:

Post a Comment