12 August 2021

Custom 650b / 27.5" wheel build for the Specialized Creo E Bike & some fettling

 


Whilst tidying up the garage at the weekend I though well my Hunt 650b gravel wheelset does not get used very often so tried them in the Creo. I knew the hub spacing would not be correct but it gave me a feel of how much clearance there was for a 650b / 27.5" wheel set up. I had a look on the Hunt website to see if they did a spacer conversion kit to save on the cost of a new pair of wheels but no joy. So I had a spare pair of 700c original wheels from the Creo sitting in the loft doing nowt so did some googling and found some cheap DT Swiss 27.5" 24 hole rims and ordered them from Wiggle. After 4 days one box landed but the other box had gone missing! bloody Hermes so I got onto Wiggle and four hours later they said they were going to send another rim, their last one! I asked for overnight and true to their word it arrived just after 11am the following day. I tried a 2" tyre on with a tube to see what width it would come out at as the internal rim dimension is only 22mm and it was bang on 2". Not a 100% sure if there is enough clearance front & back with 50mm tyres. I will be able to tell better once the hubs have been rebuilt onto the new rims and fitted into the bike. 






I have been chatting to a lad from Finland who is running a pair of DT Swiss 27.5” wheels on his creo and has 50mm tyres front and back and says he has plenty of clearance and could go to 2.1”! 




I also found the very small hole in my rear tyre on Creo road bike. It squirted some more Stans the last time I was out so patched that up and hopefully there should be no more squirting the next time out. It is holding air ok. 


No comments:

Post a Comment