19 March 2023

Fresh Goods Sunday - B Twin Mountain Bike Rear Mudguard (Decathlon)

 


I bought one of these many years ago when Decathlon opened up at Gateshead. After a couple of rides I managed to split the plastic at the rear and stuck some gaffa tape over to keep it together. It has been like that for a very long time. A few weeks ago we ended up at Team Valley so I decided to have a look around the cycling section up stairs and they still did the same mudguard so bought another one and fingers crossed this one did not split within weeks. I cannot remember how much I paid the last time but they are £3.29 now with a reusable zip tie. Fitting is simple enough, I undid the velcro straps from the saddlebag that feed over the top of the saddle rails and pulled it down the seat post out of the way. Then I loosened off the zip tie and pulled the old guard back through the saddle. I cleaned the underside of the saddle and also the rails. I then slide through the new guard pulling the tabs over the saddle rails and bent the rear of the guard along the lines to form the shape. Once I was happy I feed the zip through, nipped it up and re fitted my saddle bag straps. I have been out on a few rides now and so far so good, it keeps some mud off your back at slower speeds and has remained in place. The best part the plastic has not split! They are excellent value for money compared to Ass Savers etc. 

RRP £3.29 and I paid £3.29 from Decathlon, Gateshead 

Manufacturers blurb - 

This lightweight, 26" to 29" mudguard is designed to protect your bum from muddy spray kicked up by your rear wheel when doing XC mountain biking.

The mudguard is both compact and lightweight, protecting your face from any tyre spray coming off the front wheel. It is detachable and can be easily fitted and removed.

LEVEL OF PROTECTION

This ultra-compact mudguard stops mud getting sprayed into mountain bikers' bums.
Its reduced dimensions meet the needs of cross-country mountain bike racers, who need a light, aerodynamic mudguard to protect them.

For better lower back protection, opt for a rigid mountain bike mudguard.

Bike compatibility -

This mudguard fits 26" to 29" mountain bikes with a saddle mounted on 2 metal rails.

BOX CONTENTS -

The mudguard comes with 1 removable cable tie

Dimensions and weight - Blade length: 395 mm - Blade width (folded and in use): 70 to 110 mm

Total weight: 34 g

Warranty 2 years










And this is the old one that I removed, straight to the bin! 





They have tweaked the size - shorter in length but the rest is the same

No comments:

Post a Comment