20 March 2023

Cube E MTB Hardtail Maintenance & Repairs

 


After yesterdays ride I washed, dried and lubricated the Cube E mtb. I then put it on charge as I forgot to charge it up from the previous ride. 
Also during yesterday ride when I stopped to take a photo of the bike it fell over onto the drive side when I turned my back and did not catch it in time. The impact twisted the handlebars slightly which was the first job, I loosened the stem bolts, realigned the bars with the front wheel and torqued the bolts back up again. 


The left pedal also needed one side of the spring tension increasing as my spd was unclipping too easily. I also checked the others at the same time so they were all equal. I also decided to re grease the axles / bearings by removing the Richey end cap with a 5mm allen key and pushing fresh grease in the end of the pedal body and by screwing the cap back on it squeezes the old grease out of the pedal on the crank arm side. I had to do this twice on each side before the fresh grease come through. 


Then leaving the most complicated job to the end, re aligning the rear mech hanger. When the bike fell over it had bent the rear mech hanger and the rear gear indexing was out. I bought the X Tool - rear mech hanger alignment tool along time ago and this is the first time I have had to use it. I had to have a read of the instructions as I have never used one before. I will do a Fresh Goods Sunday Blog on the tool as I don't think I did one when I bought it. The alignment was out by approx 30mm over the four positions but after some adjustments with the alignment tool I had it within approx 2mm on the four positions on the rim. Once the rear mech was refitted I checked the gears and after adjusting the cable tension with a couple of turns on the barrel at the bar shifter end the indexing was perfect again, in fact it was better than before! 





That was the final job on the bike and its ready to rock n role again on the tracks n trails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment