3 April 2022

Some man cave bike fettling, degreasing & cleaning

 


I had planned on doing quite a lot of cleaning and catching up with some repair jobs on my bikes yesterday after I come in from my ride but it decided to chuck down. 
Today the sun came out so made a start on degreasing and cleaning the drive train on my Specialized Creo gravel bike. I did not realise just how much build up of old oil and winter crud there was until you get a good closer look in the sun. Once I had finished degreasing with Fenwicks Foaming degreaser, cleaning and re lubricating the Creo with GT85 & Finish line Cross Country oil I moved onto the Cube E mtb. Now I know this has not been done for a while and was worse than the Creo. I have not checked / topped up the Stans in the tyres for over a year so that was the first job. I tried to remove the inner valve core but they were the fixed type so that meant cracking the bead of the tyres next to the valve first. Buy god they were tight! Once I had the beads cracked I decided to change the tubeless valves to ones where the valve core comes out so topping up in the future is a lot less hassle. I fitted the new valves, blew the tyre back up to seat the beads then removed the valve core and added 150ml of fresh Stans in each tyre with my injector syringe. Re fitted the vale core and aired the tyres back up and put the wheels back in the bike. Whilst the wheels were off the bike I checked the disc brake pads as its very hard to see what is left on the pads with the wheels in on my Magura brakes. The back ones were ok but the front ones were nearly down to metal at one end of the pad. I found some spare EBC pads in my stock and fitted them. After that it was degrease the drivetrain, wash and dry the bike. Lubricated everything and its ready to rock n roll again on the trails. 







I also washed my DT Swiss 700c gravel wheelset and degreased the cassette as they are hanging up at the mo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment