10 April 2022

Fresh Goods Sunday - Continental Cross King Shieldwall Tubeless Folding Tyre 27.5" x 2.0"

 


After buying my new DT Swiss 27.5” wheels I was going to use some of my old tyres but the Panaracer would not seat when trying to set it up tubeless so looked for some new 27.5” x 2.0” tubeless mtb knobbly tryes. There is not a huge choice out there with big’ish knobbles in 2” width. If you want semi slick / gravel tyres there are plenty of options to pick from. I ended up buying two Continental tyres which were reasonably good value for money compared to some of todays rrp on tyres. I have used Continental tyres for many years and always had better luck with their off road tyres compared to their road tyres. If fact I would not buy anymore of their road tyres unless they were mega discounted as they don't seem to last me long or start to fall apart. Anyway back to the Cross King in the 27.5 x 2.0 size. I have fitted this to the rear wheel and it seated first time. Poured in 100ml of Stans and has not lost that much pressure each week and is getting better with the more miles on it. Yes it is a little draggy / noisy on smooth tarmac bridleways / country lanes but its not designed for that. Off road I have had no issues to date on the old railway lines which are mainly hard packed gravel. The tyre feels confident on more muddier single tracks and has not spun out yet but the mud has never been deeper than about an inch. Only time will tell how the miles affect the central tread on the rear of my e bike. 
For reference I have fitted my old Specialized Fast Trak Sport tyre to the front and is still going strong but they have stopped manufacturing this tyre now in 27.5 x 2.0 size, shame. So I bought the Conti Race King 27.5 x 2.0 for a spare front tyre, just in case for the front or swap to the rear. 
RRP £39.95 and I paid £30.49 inc 48hr p&p from High on Bikes - Discount 24%

Manufacturers blurb - 

Our first class all-rounder and top choice for race day

The Cross King is a versatile competition and trail tyre, with enough grip for wet trails yet super fast rolling thanks to an offset centre tread design. 

Our unique BlackChili tread compound offers a great long lasting grip. The shoulder lugs provide high stability in high speed corners.

  • Fast rolling Trail / XC tyre
  • Completely re-engineered casing which seats and inflates for all tubeless systems first time
  • Fits between the Race King and Mountain King in the Continental range


























No comments:

Post a Comment