14 March 2021

Fresh Goods Sunday - Lowa Renegade GTX Lo Mens Walking Shoes

 


There is nothing worse than uncomfortable shoes when you are walking or on your feet all day. Many 10’s of years ago I bought some Berghaus Goretex walking shoes and they were fantastic. I could wear them every day, all day when we were away on holiday in the Lakes, Yorkshire, Scotland etc and my feet would be dry and warm. When I worn them out I bought another pair of Berghaus ones but the quality was just no where near as good as my first pair and they were not as comfortable and did not last as long. 
My family has bought shoes, wellingtons, boots from FW Tyson in Ambleside for many years now and they always offer a fantastic service. When we were on holiday many years ago we called in and I bought a pair of Lowa Goretex walking shoes and they have been fantastic. I have used them for many years but due to the high mileage I have replaced the inner soles and two pairs of laces but the soles have finally worn out on them (see photos at the bottom of the blog). The quality was fantastic, plenty grip, comfortable on all types of terrain as long as it was not too technical, always kept my feet dry even in the Lakes summer weather! As for sizing they come up spot on for me to my true size but as ever its always best to try on before buying where possible. On the Lowa website they also come in three different width fittings but when I did a quick search on google all the uk sellers were just stocking the regular medium width. 
So it was time to replace them so bought the same model again thinking they would be the same but just in a different colour, well the same has happened as to what Berghaus did many moons ago. Straight away I could tell the quality and feel was much cheaper / less quality. They have changed the soles, still a Vibram off road tread and lacing eyelets have gone from hooks on the side to holes set further in the shoe. The new model is also a lot lighter in weight than the previous model, which is a good thing? The rrp has increased but I paid the same as I did for my original blue ones. I have only worn them a few times so far and they feel very stiff and cardboardie straight from the box. My feet don't feel as comfortable yet but have not had any blisters/ rubbing so far. Hopefully they should soften up over time and last just as long as my blue ones which have been retired off as my spare pair now. 

RRP £165.00 and I paid £125 from FW Tyson, Ambleside (now doing online shopping with deliver to your door £139.95). 

Manufacturers blurb - 
The Renegade GTX LO is an updated version of our best selling shoe, and knows how to perform during extended strolls, easy hikes and everyday life.
Making something good even better is indeed one of the biggest challenges ever. Proving this is truly possible is the super-comfy low-cut hiker RENEGADE GTX® LO. Newly reengineered, this low-cut model isn’t just a job done halfway. Proof for that is the grippy Vibram® Renevo Sole and the robust nubuck leather with a waterproof GORE-TEX® membrane. Too, the re-optimised midsole with the hybrid DuraPU/DynaPU® cushioning, turns this marvel of fit into your perfect companion for everyday wear or easy hikes. There's a roomier toebox and more cushioning around the collar and tongue for extra comfort.

Index
LOWA Index 4 : All Terrain Classic
Upper
nubuck, fabric
Lining
GORE-TEX®
Sole
VIBRAM® Evo Trac
Midsole
Double Injection DuraPU® with DynaPU® shock absobing zones
Monowrap Frame
MONOWRAP® Support Frame
Stabilizer
Soft
Sizes
6,5 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15
Size Type
UK
Weight
1040 g/pair
Width
Medium
Gore-Tex

GORE-TEX® Lining: Highly breathable, durably waterproof lining material. Keeps feet pleasantly dry and offers optimised climate comfort for a broad range of outdoor activities.

Vibram

Vibram®: These outstanding soles and rubber blends offer impressive traction on various surfaces and, at the same time, optimal abrasion resistance. Vibram® has always stood for premium, slip-resistant, long-lasting soles and has for years been the market leader in this segment.

Double Injection

Double Injection: Comfort and cushioning is further improved for specific uses with a complex injection-moulding process using various layers of PU-foam padding that are poured into a mould. During the process, the sole and upper are bonded together



















No comments:

Post a Comment