7 March 2021

Durham Villages Road Loop - blow out on the front!

 


Well another week of crap weather, forecast was looking better for Friday so I had planned on getting the van ready for its mot yesterday, Saturday. Well it started off dry then went very dark, then it rained, then we had hail then we had some snow, crazy. Well we dropped the van off yesterday for its mot and then had a spin down to Bike Scene Guisborough to have a look at a new bike, well an hour later we come away with another bike! On the way back we picked the van up and it had passed for another year. Once back home I spent some time on the new bike fitting some bottle cages, pump, bell, Garmin mount, cadence sensor, pedals, ass saver, storage bottle with tubes, multi tool, co2, patches etc and changed the saddle & wheelset. She was then ready to rock n roll. The battery & Di2 were both fully charged and I connected the bike to my Specialized Mission Control App on the ipad. By the time I had done that that the day had gone.
This morning I was up and out early for a shakedown spin on the new bike. I did not want to go too far away from home, just in case so decided to do my Durham Villages loop. All was going well but it was really cold. The Garmin nearly topped out at nearly minus -2 degrees. Once I climbed the back hill from Kelloe to Quarrington Hill I just pulled away at the T junction at the top to turn right towards Cassop and I got a puncture on the front. The Stans was spraying 6 foot in the air, all over the bike and all over me. I thought it might have sealed by the time I reached the crossroads after Cassop but it was still leaking so I pulled over and fitted an inner tube. I was freezing after that so put my head down and got on with the rest of the ride. The roads were lovely and quiet. There was loads of other cyclists out and about. By the time I got back home it had warmed up to 3 degrees! All in 31.5miles with just under 2000ft of climbing in 2hrs 1 min. I washed the bike, myself and put all my clothes in washer. Stripped down the front wheel and patched the tyre and refitted it to the rim with some new Stans. 
Below are a few snaps from the ride, enjoy and hopefully more soon - 












No comments:

Post a Comment