9 September 2023

Second spin out on the Trek Marlin+ 8 e mtb Hardtail.

 


Yesterday I did the first short bed in ride on my new Trek Marlin+ 8. The only problem was the seatpost slipped down, apart from that it was ok. 
Today I decided to take it back out again for one of my regular loops down to Durham, over to Maiden Castle, Houghall Woods, The Trod, back around Durham, up to Frankland, around the Sands and The Carrs and back home. I do this loop regularly on my old Cube e mtb hardtail so was a good comparison. Bosch motors, controllers and software has come on along way since I bought the Cube. It was like night and day even though this motor is not a Performance Line CX model. The power is a lot smoother, no massive drop off when you reach the power assist speed limit. The Auto function on the Purion 200 is fantastic and very smooth but it drains the battery a lot faster than manual changing the power. The bike geometry is more compact, even though I am now 5ft 10" with not a particularly long inside leg the Large size is on the small side, I might be able to fit an XL. The only negative so far is the standard brakes the bike come with (Shimano 4-piston hydraulic disc, MT4100 lever, MT420 calliper), they feel very spongy and have no bite. I will give them a few more rides to see if the pads scrub in and starts to offer more bite. I have ordered some new 180mm XT rotors to see that improves the braking performance, failing that Shimano XT 4 pot brakes will be going on. 
As for the ride will it was busy for first thing on a Saturday morning and quite warm. As I am typing this it is the hottest day in Durham so far this year - 28 degrees. All in just under 18 miles with 900ft of climbing and there was 55% left out of the 400amp battery. Below are a few snaps from the ride, enjoy and hopefully more soon including a more detailed blog on  the bike and which parts I have swapped. 














No comments:

Post a Comment