7 September 2023

A short local spin on Durham's old railway lines & a catch up

 


Apologies for the lack of blogs recently but I have been back off the bike again, been away for a short break to the Lakes and busy with work. I will post up a blog on the new bike soon once I have got it all sorted and had a ride on it. 
Today I was finished early and I had my bike with me so I did one of my regular short loops taking in some old railways lines around Co Durham. Durham County Council have received a grant from the Central Government so are resurfacing a few sections of line. They have finished the section after Hownsgill viaduct up to the A68, they have moved onto the stretch from under the bypass coming out of Bishop Auckland up to the next road crossing so a long section. No gravel / resin topping, tarmac all the way! We have had a heat wave the last few days but the North Eat of England is still the coldest place in the UK today! It still felt very warm but there was a cool breeze and overcast / hazy so no direct sunlight. The lines were not that busy so just pottered away around the 19.2 miles in 1hr 23 mins, average speed 13.8mph with nearly 800ft of climbing. I did not stop too many times so only a few snap shots below. Enjoy and hopefully more soon- 





All scraped back ready for the stone base and tarmac topping 




No comments:

Post a Comment