8 July 2021

Coastal spin - pier to pier inc beach riding at Roker, Seaburn & South Shields


After spending an hour or so sorting out the Salsa Beargrease fat bike recently - replacing the headset bearings, fitting a bottle cage, fitting the frame bag with all some tool kit, pump, tube etc it was time to give it a blast out up the coast. The forecast was sun straight from sunrise this morning and a low tide around 9.30am so I was up and out the door early doors. I parked up at Sunderland Marina and headed off up the coast towards South Shields at 6.30am. I was surprised at just how many other people were already out and about. There was a fitness class on the seafront walk near Seaburn, swimmers in the water at Roker and Seaburn and also people out walking their dogs, walkers, runners, joggers and cyclists. The further north I went the quieter it was. I had a massive 15-20mph headwind nearly all the way to South Shields so I hit the cycle track after Souter lighthouse. Once at Shields I turned and dropped on to the beach then the coastal / cliff track with a lovely tail wind on the way back. It was hard going on the softer sand and some of the shorter little clicks around the cliff edges! need more training I thought to myself. It was around 20 degrees when I got back to the marina so had a quick drink and thought I would get a couple more miles in so I did not hit the traffic on the way back. I cycled up past the Glass Centre to under the bridges turned and come back again. All in just under 18.5 miles, 1hr 58mins, ave 9.3mph and climbed 500ft, felt more like double that. 
Below are a few sunny snaps from the ride and a short video clip at the bottom, enjoy and hopefully more soon - 





































No comments:

Post a Comment